- 2019 Posts
- Local Donation Avenues
- SNAP Benefits Will Be Funded Through February & Will Be Issued by January 20
- Tish Rudnicki Joins North Shore Senior Center as Executive Director
+ 2018 Posts
- Navigating the Holidays with a Family Member Living with Dementia
- Caregiver Specialist Heather Resnick on Caregiver Support
- Grandparents Raising Grandchildren
- Center Launches North Shore Senior Options
- On Blindness, Alzheimer's and Love
- Shared Vision: Winnetka Congregational Church Woman's Society Benevolence Committee
- Protecting Seniors and Adults with Disabilities: Adult Protective Services
- A Jack of All Trades: Al Davis
- Family Tradition: Gone Fishin'
- Dedicated Volunteer: Fern Kamen
- Generous Soul: Mitchell Slotnick
- Assessing the Older Adult Members of your Family
- Giving Back: Fay Goldblatt
- Adult Protective Services (APS) Program Benefits from Shamrock Shindig
- Humble Beginnings: Bobbi Halloran
+ 2017 Posts
- Arts and Crafts at the Center
- #GivingTuesday at North Shore Senior Center
- Leisure Time Well Spent - Daytrips at the Center
- New Advisory Council Formed
- Playreading with Vivian Mitchel
- North Shore Senior Center's Foundation Board
- Wills vs. Trusts
- Joan Golder Distinguished Senior Lecture Series showcased actor Mike Nussbaum
- 20/20 Corporate Campaign
- Functional Fitness: Training for Everyday Life
- Benefits of Pet Therapy for People with Memory Loss
- Grandparents Raising Grandchildren Benefit from Oktoberfest
- Small Screen Big Stars: Oh What a Night!
- Sharing a Common Thread
- Helping You Make Informed Choices for Care
- 2017 Janet Burgoon Philanthropic Excellence Award for Distinguished Community Partner
- 2017 Janet Burgoon Philanthropic Excellence Award for Dedicated Corporation
- 2017 Janet Burgoon Philanthropic Excellence Award for Outstanding Philanthropist
- Special Needs Trusts
- Gifts in Kind Increase the Center's Impact
- Enrich your Life with Lifelong Learning
- A Little TLC Goes a Long Way
- PEARLS: Reducing Symptoms of Depression Home-based Counseling Services Available
- Big Stars to Chair Annual Benefit
- Evanston Community Foundation
- Million Dollar Round Table Foundation
- Super Senior Day
- New Physical Therapy Services Now Available at North Shore Senior Center!
- Stroke Prevention Tips
- Why Powers of Attorney are Important to You!
- Get Expert Help with Your Tax Returns
- North Shore Senior Center Awarded Gold Status for Philanthropic Efforts
- Fitness as a Goal for Life
- Men's Club Offers Unique Programs to Community
- Spread the Love at North Shore Senior Center
- Jean Griswold Foundation supports House of Welcome Adult Day Services
- "I think a hero is any person really intent on making this a better place for people." - Maya Angelou
- "A true hero isn't measured by the size of his strength, but by the strength of his heart." - Zeus from Hercules
- Winter Safety and Health Tips
- "A hero is someone who has given his or her life to something bigger than oneself." - Joseph Campbell
- A Granddaughter's Love for her Grandmother
- Six Things to Consider Before Making Gifts to Grandchildren
- Lending Closet for Durable Medical Equipment at North Shore Senior Center
- Seniors Can Save Lives by Donating Blood
+ 2016 Posts
- Lifelong Learning Catalog Wins International Award for Best Brochure
- Life Stories are Gifts that Keep on Giving
- Visiting Aging Parents During the Holidays
- Edna Weber Garden of Light Wing at the House of Welcome
- Learn More About What Makes This World Tick
- 60 Years of Service: Advocacy
- 60 Years of Service: Compassion
- Myrna and John Cruikshank, III: Steady and Committed Philanthropists
- Kenilworth United Fund: Longstanding, Civic-Minded Community Partner
- Radford Green at Sedgebrook: Dedicated Corporation and Vested Supporter
- Simple Tips to Improve Your Balance
- 60 Years of Service: Creativity
- Daily Money Management Fosters Peace of Mind
- Opportunities for Learning, Exploring, and Connecting
- The Edna Weber "Garden of Light" Wing
- Protecting Vulnerable Seniors: Adult Protective Services Promotes Quality of Life
- Top Ten Reasons Why Older Adults Continue to Work
- Super Seniors We Admire!
- Scams and Fraud: Protect Yourself
- The State's Devastating Impact on Our Budget
- North Shore Senior Center Southern Hub Moves to Niles
- Alzheimer's Family Support Group
- Evanston Support Group for Family Caregivers
- Family Caregiver Support Group in Skokie
+ 2015 Posts
- Music + Dance + Dialogue = A Musical!
- Flex and Strengthen Your Muscles
- Generous & Caring Corporate Citizen
- More Than Service and Fellowship
- Art Gallery a "Hidden Gem" at North Shore Senior Center
- Sound Off on Hearing Loss
- Making Sense of American Poltics
- Fitness Center Enhances More Than Muscle Strength
- Virtual View of Art: From the Basics to Specialties
- Social Connections are a Key to Successful Aging
- North Shore Senior Center Celebrates Super Seniors!
- Super Senior Spotlight
- What is a Senior Center?
- MDRT Foundation Aids Grandparents Raising Grandchildren Program
- Social Worker Reaches Out to Seniors in Need
- How to Achieve Your Healthiest Brain Yet
- AmazonSmile: Your Online Shopping Can Help NSSC!
+ 2014 Posts
MDRT Foundation Aids Grandparents Raising Grandchildren ProgramMarch 05, 2015
North Shore Senior Center would like to extend a special "Thank You" to the Million Dollar Round Table (MDRT) Foundation for awarding a $5,000 grant to our Grandparents Raising Grandchildren (GRG) program!
MDRT's support will help cover the cost of supporting low-income grandparents who have stepped in to raise their grandchildren in the parents' absence. These older adults, often with their own health problems, are ill-equipped socially, emotionally and financially to successfully care for children and teens coming from already dysfunctional homes. MDRT's generous assistance will enable North Shore Senior Center to continue providing emotional support, parenting education, and respite and financial counseling to these older adults.
Check out the following story of Joanna, a grandmother who was better able to care for her grandchildren through the help of North Shore Senior Center's GRG program:
Joanna has taken responsibility for her three grandchildren since having them transferred to her care from foster care five years ago. She felt it was in the children's best interest to be raised by a family member and in the Evanston community where they were born and had lived prior to foster care. The children's mother is addicted to drugs and has related mental and physical health problems, thus deeming her unable to care for her three youngsters. The father is unavailable.
Since moving in with Joanna, the children have made leaps and bounds both scholastically and interpersonally. When the family is faced with an obstacle in the community, at school or elsewhere, their loving grandmother advocates for her grandchildren and ensures stability in their lives.
When Joanna was informed that the building they lived in had been foreclosed and would be repossessed by the bank, she had to act quickly to avoid homelessness. Availability of affordable housing is difficult in Evanston, but Joanna was able to locate a new apartment. However, she could not cover all of the related expenses. After collecting as many funds as possible for her friends and family, she reached out to North Shore Senior Center's Evanston Social Services Office for support. Her case manager helped her secure emergency funds from the State of Illinois and North Shore Senior Center as well as financial help from GRG program volunteers and donors. Joanna and her three young grandchildren happily moved to their new apartment, where they still reside.
Joanna continues to attend GRG meetings with her grandchildren each month, building a support system made up of other grandmothers and learning all she can to benefit her grandchildren's present and future lives.
To learn more about our Grandparents Raising Grandchildren program, please contact our Niles Senior & Family Services office at 847.864.3721.