Current Volunteer Opportunities
Volunteer opportunities are posted on this page for those who seek different ways to assist the older adults who participate in the programs, services, and activities offered by North Shore Senior Center. Our more than 300 volunteers provide countless hours of support to keep the Center vibrant and working efficiently. So, please join us as a volunteer! To learn more, contact the Volunteer Office at 847.242.6257 or email@example.com
- Medical Content/Article Writer: We are seeking a health professional to write articles for Engage- North Shore Senior Center's quarterly magazine. Volunteers can work from the comfort of their own home or at our main campus in Northfield.
- Gardening Volunteer: Help maintain our outside garden areas by the House of Welcome and our 161 Front Entrance. We are seeking individuals to help with the maintenance of the raised beds, garden area, and outside plants by House of Welcome. We are seeking a volunteer to help 1-3 hours a month during the fall/winter seasons and no more than 10 hours during the spring and summer seasons.
- Friendly Visitors Program: We are seeking individuals to join our Friendly Visitor Program and help make a difference in the lives of our home bound older adult population. Volunteers will be matched with an older adult and provide friendly companionship and their compassionate presence. This is a flexible volunteer opportunity- all Friendly Visitor visits are scheduled during a convenient time for the volunteer and their match.
- Social Services Administration Phone Support: We are looking for a volunteer to assist at the Social Services Reception Desk answering phones and assisting walk-ins. Computer skills are not needed for this position. A pleasant demeanor, good customer service skills, and dependability are the traits we are looking for in this person.
- Niles Senior & Family Services, Office Administrative Assistance: Work with North Shore Senior Center Care Coordinators to assist seniors in need in our Niles office. Contact clients by phone for monthly check-ins, enter client survey data into the computer, and other office support.
- Lifelong Learning Front Desk Volunteer: The Lifelong Learning Department is seeking a volunteer to man the front desk and to assist customers by providing information about programs and membership. Responsibilities include: registration and membership enrollment, answer customer inquiries, prep/deliver of attendance sheets. All information would be accessed in the computer, so computer skills are required.
- Lifelong Learning Program Aide: Friendly, outgoing volunteers are needed to help sign-in individuals who have registered for North Shore Senior Center presentations. Volunteers are welcome to attend these presentations at no charge.
- House of Welcome Adult Day Services Program Assistants: Make a difference in the lives of persons with memory loss by interacting with participants in the home-like setting of the House of Welcome Adult Day Services Program. The House of Welcome (HOW), an adult day services program of the North Shore Senior Center, serves older adults living with memory loss, usually Alzheimer's disease, and provides a structured group program of therapeutic activities Monday through Friday. You will assist with scheduled activities or spend time one-on-one with participants. No previous experience required. You can start by observing and then we’ll provide training. We ask volunteers to commit to a morning or afternoon shift once per week for at least a year.
- Pet Therapy for House of Welcome: To enhance programming, we are looking for pet therapy volunteers to visit HOW once or twice a month, or weekly, about 30 minutes each time. We ask that all volunteers commit to at least a year. Information and training about our program's specific needs will be provided.
- House of Welcome Music Therapy: House of Welcome is looking for a music volunteer to play instruments and /or lead a singalong with participants and staff assistance. We are looking for people to come 1-2 times a month and commit to at least a year.
- Escorted Transportation Service Coordinator: We seek 1-2 Escorted Transportation Service (ETS) Coordinators to join our team. Volunteer from the comfort of your own home in this flexible role as a Coordinator. Coordinate rides for appreciative seniors to and from medical appointments. Coordinators must have access to and be comfortable using a phone and computer, demonstrate effective communication skills, and demonstrate good organizational skills and attention to detail. Coordinators rotate for 2-week shifts. During a shift, coordinators are responsible for checking a voice mailbox where riders request rides and then reach out to our pool of volunteer drivers to find available drivers.
- Escorted Transportation Service Drivers: Would you drive to save a life? Every day seniors in your neighborhood miss important medical appointments, simply because they couldn't get there. Sign up to be an Escorted Transportation Driver; you may be surprised at what you get in return. Help with this critical need while enjoying the company of an appreciative senior. Hours and times are flexible, you can work this opportunity into your schedule.
- AARP Tax-Aide Assistant: We need volunteers to help seniors file their taxes. Volunteer for this AARP affiliated program that runs February-April.
- Child Care Worker: Need a child care volunteer for our Evanston office's program Grandparents Raising Grandchildren on a monthly basis (2nd Monday evening of the month). Assist with activities such as crafts, snack-time and clean-up.
- Library Assistant: Love books and magazines? Have good organizational skills? Need a volunteer to help the North Shore Senior Center library run smoothly by cataloging materials, shelving items and ensuring that the library is a welcome, inviting place.
- Volunteer Photographer: Our Marketing team is seeking an individual who has an interest in photography. Volunteers are asked to take photos during North Shore Senior Center events.
- Lending Closet Assistant: Volunteers are needed to assist with coordinating medical equipment pick up and drop off for seniors recuperating from illness or surgery. Must have good customer service skills and be able to move the equipment (wheel chairs, canes, walkers, etc.) from one internal location to another.
- Fitness Center Assistant: Volunteer needed to man the front desk, answer phones and assist patrons.
- Social Service Project Volunteer: Volunteer needed to help Senior and Family Services department with research, info compilation, surveys, data input and more.
- North Shore Senior Center is a 501(c)(3) organization. It is our policy to not discriminate against any person served or person employed or seeking employment based on age, race, color, disability, pregnancy, ethnicity, national origin, genetic information, gender identity, sexual orientation, religious tradition or spiritual practice. If you feel that you have been discriminated against, call the Senior Help Line at 800.252.8966 or 888.206.1327 (TTY).